We’ve been snowed in our house for the last three days. It’s been fun, but the kids are finally starting to get bored with being inside, and my wife and I are beginning to wonder if we should redirect money from retirement into tuition for a good European Boarding school. To prevent us from shipping our kids to the KinderStalag in Dminsk, Prussia, we’ve decided to direct our creative energies towards some simple, homemade solutions that can keep the whole family entertained. I offer them up as suggestions for others who are stuck inside here in Atlanta or in other cold places. Like the South Pole.
- Hide the Baby: each of the older people in the house take turns hiding the youngest member of the household, then the rest of the family tries to find him/her. This works great until you forget where you hid the little booger.
- Mommy’s Shoe Shuffle: let the kids get into your master bedroom closet and rearrange Mommy’s shoe tree, the one with 327 pairs just hanging there. Then, time Mommy to see how quickly she can re-match each shoe with its missing mate. Or, time Mommy and see which happens faster–her finding each matching shoe or bursting into tears while Googling “divorce attorneys cheap”.
- Skype Daddy: can’t get Daddy away from the computer? Just Skype him from the next room. He’s sure to pay attention to you once you appear on his laptop screen!
- Porcelain Rescue: give your toddler a Ziploc bag full of small items (like all of your daughter’s Polly Pockets stuff, let’s say…) and then open the door to the master bathroom. Give the weeble-wooble five minutes, and then give mommy, daddy and the siblings 45 seconds to see how many pieces they can fish out of the potty before it gets flushed. Bonus points are given if the plumber does not get called.
- Thomas the Tank Engine Drinking Game: every time you hear a whistle toot, you do a shot of apple juice.
- Whale’s Tail: everyone puts on their favorite jeans and then you measure to see who’s butt has gotten the biggest.
- Kelly Slater Clicker Invitational: see who can surf through the channels in the least amount of time. Bonus points for every show you can name without having to stop and watch.
- Pimp My Toy: take apart as many toy cars as possible, then use the different pieces to create as many new models as possible.
- Match the Streak: let both of the kids run around the house as fast as possible – naked.
- Family Night RAW: basically, every man for himself wrestling. Just remember not to pinch, bite, slap or tackle the kids. It’s okay with your spouse.
So, how do you and your family pass the time when you can’t get out of the house?